Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Solstice Day/ Sauna

Rocks by the Baltic Sea where the social was at.
The Sea was beautiful but cold!
The Sea.

Summer Solistice day is a big holiday in Finland. It is the longest night of the year, the sun shines the longest time. But, last night the sun was hidden by the clouds. To celebrate this we went to a ward social type thing. It was a lot of fun. We went to The Baltic and the ward rented a house with a sauna. It started at 3 and ended till whenever. We stayed until 10:30 but it didn't feel like it since it didn't get dark.
I watched people play Finnish baseball...it was different. And we ate some good food. But, it was freezing yesterday!! It is supposed to be warm here but it feels like winter! So, since it was so cold I decided to go in the Sauna. It was a good experience for me I guess, to experience what Finnish people do. First the women went and it was a kind of small room with wooden benches. And after we got out you would get your bathing suits on and jump into the Sea. Not everyone did it because it was so cold. I got in all of the way and Sirpa was very proud of me. I went in the Sauna one more time then in the Sea again. Then once the women were done the men went in the Sauna. It was pretty cool to experience it. The only problem is.....we left our bathing suits there. I really hope we get them back because it is the only bathing suit I have in Finland!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did it! I totally would have too. You can't go all the way there and not have the sauna experience. You can always buy a new swimsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job getting out of your comfort zone and experiencing new and exciting things. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete