Saturday, June 20, 2009

The end of Summer Solstice day

This is the only picture I got of the romantic place before my camera died.

Matilda on the boat!!
This is when we were on the boat. It is the Baltic Sea and the light is the camera flash, not the sun.

After the ward social ended at 10:30, me, matilda, sirpa, and her mom went to Villinki. It is a summer resort for blind people. Sirpa's dad works there and he gave us a ride to the island in a boat on the Baltic Sea. It was a lot of fun. When we got there we hiked to the other side of the island to the "romantic place," that is what we call it. It is so beautiful, the sea comes to big rocks or boulders and we climbed on them. My camera died so I didn't get any pictures, Sirpa did though. And we are going to go back again when the weather is better. I wish everyone could see how beautiful it is. We were talking about how it would make the perfect date.
We hiked back and passed a few drunk people. (Finns like to drink a lot on holidays.) Then we sat down and had icecream because we were hot from the hike. But then we got cold again so we had hot chocolate. The hot chocolate is sooo good here! They have it any time during the year since it is so cold all the time. We didn't get back home until about 2 in the morning so I slept in until 12ish.
Oh yeah, one more thing. There is a myth, I guess you would call it that on Summer Solstice Day, if you pick 7 different wild flowers and put them under your pillow at night then you will dream of your future husband. Of course I did it because I am all about romance. I don't remember dreaming about him last night but most of the dreams we have we don't remember. So it might have worked. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love it! What a great tradition. If I wasn't married I would totally try that. That hot chocolate sounds heavenly. And the boat trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! Maybe you dreamed about your husband and will recognize him when you see him. My dad dreamed about my mom before they met. I think it is a cute story. I will have to tell it to you sometime (if I haven't already--I can't remember).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I picked wild flowers here too and I also ate raspberries right off the bushes. I dreamed of a girl with chestnut hair and brown eyes named . . . . . Maureen. Do you think I'll marry her?

    ReplyDelete